Spring Kimchi Fried Rice
Take your fried rice to the next level with kimchi!
- step-by-step directions
Spring Kimchi Fried Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 pound pancetta (diced)
- 2 eggs
- 2 spring onions (ends removed, sliced)
- 1 cup asparagus (chopped into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon sambal (plus more to taste)
- 1/2 cup kimchi (store-bought, chopped)
- 2 cups leftover white rice (cooked)
- 1/2 cup fava beans (cooked fresh, or frozen and thawed)
- 1 cup mint (chopped)
- 1 cup basil (chopped)
- 1 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon honey
Quick Pickled Cucumbers
- 1 cup English cucumber (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Place a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil and pancetta, cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Push the pancetta to the side of the pan. Add the eggs to the pan and fry until the whites are almost completely cooked through. Flip and fry eggs on the other side for another minute. Remove eggs to a plate and set aside.
- To the pan, add spring onions, asparagus, 1 tablespoon sambal and kimchi, and cook until browned. Push everything to the middle of the pan. Add the rice around the pancetta and veggies. Press the rice into the pan and cook, without stirring, until crispy, about 3-5 minutes. Add herbs and fava beans. Slice the fried eggs and add to the pan. Stir everything to combine. Dress the fried rice with some of the vinaigrette. Serve fried rice with quick pickled cucumbers and more sambal on top.
- For the Vinaigrette: in a medium bowl, add the rice wine vinegar, chili flakes and honey, whisk together.
- For the Quick Pickled Cucumbers: in a large bowl, combine vinegar, salt and sugar and stir to combine and dissolve. Add the cucumbers and toss to coat.
- To Prepare Fava Beans: if still in pod, slice pod in half and remove beans. The beans have a waxy coating on the outside. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Blanch the beans for 30 seconds in the boiling water then remove to an ice bath to cool. The waxy outer layer of the fava beans should easily come off. Remove the waxy layer.
- When making fried rice, add all the flavorings to the pan first. Then add the rice and crisp in the pan to absorb all the flavorings.
- Use seasonal vegetables to personalize your own fried rice!
California Veggie Burger
Spaghetti Squash Latkes
Apple Cider Donuts
Spiced Turkey Meatloaf
Kielbasa with Beer and Onions
Baked Orzo with Turkey Meatballs
Vegan Pumpkin Banana Muffins
Cobb Salad Baked Potato
Jamaican Curry Patties
Sweet Potato, Corn and Wild Rice Enchiladas
Hardy's Hearty Lasagna