Spring Minestrone Soup with Turkey Meatballs
Soup is served!
- step-by-step directions
For the Turkey Meatballs:
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup ground oats
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1 garlic clove (peeled and minced)
- 1 lemon (zested)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons chives (chopped)
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
For the Spring Minestrone Soup:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek (white and light green parts only, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds)
- 4 spring onions (thinly sliced on a bias)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and minced)
- 2 cups spring carrots (peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick on a bias)
- 1 cup spring peas (shelled)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- 1 bag baby spinach (5 ounces)
- 1 bunch parsley (leaves only)
- 1/4 cup tarragon (leaves)
- 1/2 bunch chives
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 bunch basil (leaves)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1 baguette (toasted and sliced)
- For the Turkey Meatballs: In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, ground oats, parmesan, garlic, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, parsley, chives and egg. Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix until combined. Form into 3/4-inch meatballs using an ice cream scoop.
- For the Spring Minestrone Soup: In a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the leeks and spring onions and cook until they begin to soften. Add in the garlic, carrots and peas and saute for 5 minutes. Slowly pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Stir in the meatballs and simmer for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- In a large stock pot filled with boiling salted water, cooked the pasta 2 minutes less than the package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside until ready to use.
- Remove 3 cups of the stock to the carafe of a blender (working in batches if necessary), puree the spinach, parsley, tarragon, chives, and lemon juice until very smooth. Season with salt and pepper and return to the soup.
- To Serve: Ladle the hot soup into bowls and garnish with basil and freshly grated parmesan. Serve with a piece of crusty warm bread.
- Tip: Dip your hands into a bowl of ice water to help you form the perfect meatballs!
The Sweet and Spicy Burger
Quick Caprese Salad
Grilled Chicken with Mango BBQ Sauce
Fried Salami Provolone-Stuffed Hot Dog
Cherry Upside-Down Cake
Hazelnut-Crusted Swordfish Picatta with Charred Romano Beans
Spicy Peanut Grilled Chicken
Jerk Chicken Egg Rolls
Chilled Corn Soup with Ancho Chili Puree
Chimichurri Grilled Wings
Peach Pie Pinwheels
Crispy Ginger Thai Wings