Spring Salad Supreme
A refreshing spring salad that has earned the title of supreme
- step-by-step directions
Spring Salad Supreme
- 4-6 ounces slab bacon (cut into medium chunks or lardons)
- 1/2 pound New potatoes (scrubbed clean)
- 1/2 pound green beans (trimmed)
- 1 lemon (juice)
- 1/3 pound mushrooms (such as oyster or chanterelles, sliced)
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons shallot (minced)
- 4 cups baby greens
- 2 farm fresh eggs (room temperature)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a large skillet, slowly cook the bacon over low heat to render the fat. Once bacon fat is mostly rendered, increase heat to medium-high and cook until crisp, about 2-3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to plate. Divide the bacon fat into two pans.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water by 2 inches. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain and allow to cool. Cut in half if potatoes are larger than 1 inch in diameter.
- Toss the green beans into one pan with reserved bacon fat and season with salt. Sauté for 1 minute then squeeze in the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Continue to sauté for 1 more minute then remove to a plate. Place the other pan with bacon fat on medium-high heat. Add a touch of olive oil if needed. Add the mushrooms and allow to cook for 2 minutes without disturbing. Season with salt and toss. Sauté for 8-10 minutes until crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the juice of half a lemon, vinegar, mustard and shallot. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, about 1/2 cup, while whisking, until dressing begins to emulsify. Season with salt and pepper and adjust vinegar and oil ratio to taste. Place the greens in a large bowl and dress with some of the vinaigrette. Toss to coat the greens and add more dressing as needed. Add the potatoes and toss to coat lightly.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Remove from heat. Crack an egg into a small bowl or ramekin. Drop in one egg at a time. Allow eggs to cook for 6 minutes until softly poached. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and blot off excess water using a paper towel or clean kitchen towel.
- Plate the salad with green beans, bacon and mushrooms and top with a soft poached egg. Garnish with freshly cracked black pepper.
Fall Harvest Hungarian Goulash
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Curried Yogurt and Scallions
Poached Pears with Mascarpone Cream
Apple Cider Donut Bread Pudding
Bella Notte Spaghetti
Ratatouille Tarte Tatin
Corned Beef Sandwich Bread Pudding
Fiesta Corn Dip
Grilled Pizza Margherita
Pickle-Brined Fried Chicken Biscuit
Prosciutto and Apple Stuffed Chicken Legs with Sauteed Swiss Chard