A refreshing spring salad that has earned the title of supreme
Spring Salad Supreme
- 4-6 ounce slab Bacon (cut into medium chunks or lardons)
- 1/2 pound New Potatoes (scrubbed clean)
- 1/2 pound Green Beans (trimmed)
- 1/3 pound Mushrooms (such as oyster or chanterelles)
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- 1 tablespoon Sherry Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons Minced Shallot
- 4 cups Baby Greens (washed and dried)
- 2 farm fresh Eggs (room temperature)
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper
- In a large skillet, slowly cook the Bacon over low heat to render the fat. Once Bacon fat is mostly rendered, increase heat to medium-high and cook until crisp, about 2-3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove Bacon to plate. Divide the Bacon fat into two pans.
- Meanwhile, place the new Potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water by 2 inches. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes or until a fork inserts with little resistance. Drain and allow to cool. Cut in half if Potatoes are larger than 1" in diameter.
- Toss the Green Beans into one pan with reserved Bacon fat and season with Salt. Sauté for 1 minute then squeeze in the juice of 1/2 a Lemon. Continue to sauté for 1 more minute then remove to a plate.
- Place the other pan with Bacon fat on medium-high heat. Add a touch of Olive Oil if needed. Add the Mushrooms and allow to cook for 2 minutes without disturbing. Season with Salt and toss. Sauté for 8-10 minutes until crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the juice of half a Lemon, Sherry, Dijon, Shallot. Slowly drizzle in Olive Oil (about 1/2 cup) while continuing to whisk until dressing begins to emulsify. Season with Salt and Pepper and adjust Vinegar and oil ratio to taste.
- Place the Greens in a large bowl and drizzle with some of the dressing. Toss to coat the Greens and add more dressing as needed.
- Add the Potatoes and toss to coat lightly.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Remove from heat, swirl water lightly in a circular motion the drop in one Egg at a time. Allow Eggs to cook for 6 minutes until softly poached. Remove Eggs with a slotted spoon and blot off excess water using a paper towel or clean kitchen towel.
- Plate the salad with Green Beans, Bacon and Mushrooms and top with a soft poached Egg. Garnish with Freshly Cracked Black Pepper.
- Remaining dressing can be stored in the fridge for later use.
- Helpful Tips:
1. Dressing should be one part acid to two parts fat.
2. When tasting dressing, use a piece of lettuce, not your finger.