Spring Salad Supreme
A refreshing spring salad that has earned the title of supreme
- step-by-step directions
Spring Salad Supreme
- 4-6 ounces slab bacon (cut into medium chunks or lardons)
- 1/2 pound New potatoes (scrubbed clean)
- 1/2 pound green beans (trimmed)
- 1 lemon (juice)
- 1/3 pound mushrooms (such as oyster or chanterelles, sliced)
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons shallot (minced)
- 4 cups baby greens
- 2 farm fresh eggs (room temperature)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a large skillet, slowly cook the bacon over low heat to render the fat. Once bacon fat is mostly rendered, increase heat to medium-high and cook until crisp, about 2-3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to plate. Divide the bacon fat into two pans.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water by 2 inches. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain and allow to cool. Cut in half if potatoes are larger than 1 inch in diameter.
- Toss the green beans into one pan with reserved bacon fat and season with salt. Sauté for 1 minute then squeeze in the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Continue to sauté for 1 more minute then remove to a plate. Place the other pan with bacon fat on medium-high heat. Add a touch of olive oil if needed. Add the mushrooms and allow to cook for 2 minutes without disturbing. Season with salt and toss. Sauté for 8-10 minutes until crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the juice of half a lemon, vinegar, mustard and shallot. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, about 1/2 cup, while whisking, until dressing begins to emulsify. Season with salt and pepper and adjust vinegar and oil ratio to taste. Place the greens in a large bowl and dress with some of the vinaigrette. Toss to coat the greens and add more dressing as needed. Add the potatoes and toss to coat lightly.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Remove from heat. Crack an egg into a small bowl or ramekin. Drop in one egg at a time. Allow eggs to cook for 6 minutes until softly poached. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and blot off excess water using a paper towel or clean kitchen towel.
- Plate the salad with green beans, bacon and mushrooms and top with a soft poached egg. Garnish with freshly cracked black pepper.
Braised Lamb with Spring Vegetables
Peas and Carrots with Polenta
Asparagus & Cheese Tart
Spinach & Artichoke Puffs
Roast Chicken with Lemon-Sage Pan Sauce
Lemon-Sage Compound Butter
Grilled Veggie Burrito with Quinoa
Kale Pesto Naan Pizza
Almond Banana Bread
Carrot Ginger Soup
Shrimp and Plantains in Spicy Tomato Sauce