Steak Au Poivre
Get this elegant & delicious steak dinner on the table in just 20 minutes!
- step-by-step directions
Steak Au Poivre
- 2 flat iron steaks (6 to 8 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons crushed black peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 3 tablespoons whole green peppercorns (freeze-dried or brined)
- 1 shallot (peeled and minced)
- 1/3 cup whiskey
- 1/4 cup reduced beef stock (or chicken stock)
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 3 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Season the steaks generously with kosher salt and crushed black peppercorns. Drizzle the steaks with enough oil to coat, about 1 tablespoon. Add the steaks to the hot skillet to sear for 3 minutes. Flip steaks and cook for 1 more minute for medium rare. Remove the steaks to a plate to rest for 8-10 minutes.
- Wipe out the skillet. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, green peppercorns and shallot to the pan, cook until softened, about 1 minute. Standing away from the pan, add the whiskey. Bring to a simmer and let whiskey reduce for one minute. Add reduced beef stock and bring to a simmer. Add creme fraiche and stir to combine. Simmer just until thickened. Finish with parsley.
- Slice the steak against the grain. Spoon the finished sauce over the steaks. Serve with Michael's Duchess Potatoes, if desired.
- Cook the steak over high heat on a griddle or grill 80% of the way through on the first side. Flip and sear on the other side just to finish the last minute of cooking. This way the steak gets a beautiful char in a short amount of time.
- To get a more restaurant style plating technique, position food in the center of the plate and create height by stacking.
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal