Soup from Dolly Parton, what more could you ask for!
- step-by-step directions
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (peeled, diced)
- 2 carrots (peeled, diced)
- 2 celery stalks (diced)
- 4 garlic cloves (peeled, minced)
- 1 pound turnips (top removed, peeled, diced)
- 1 pound potatoes (peeled, diced)
- 1 small head cabbage (cored, coarsely shredded)
- 1 14.5- ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 ham hock
- 1 clean stone (optional)
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil, onions, carrot, and celery and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, turnips and potatoes, stirring to combine vegetables, and continue to cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and tomatoes, and season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Allow the vegetables to come up to a simmer, then add the ham hock, the stone, and the chicken stock.
- Allow soup to come up to a simmer. Cover and cook for 45 minutes. Remove stones and re-season with salt and pepper if necessary. Serve warm.
- Tip: Make a large batch and freeze for a quick and easy winter weeknight dinner!
Similar categories: Soups
Pap's Turkey and Dumpling Soup
Ombre Potato and Root Vegetable Gratin
Quick and Easy Pumpkin Pie
Simple Pumpkin Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
Turkey Pot Pie
Crispy and Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Classic Pumpkin Pie
Deconstructed Vegan Pecan Pie
Fall Roasted Vegetable Medley
Maple Bourbon-Glazed Roasted Turkey
Crispy Potatoes with Pumpkin Hummus