This hearty stew warms the soul and the tummy
Stout & Beef Stew
- 2 1/2 pound Beef Chuck or Eye Round (cut into 1" pieces)
- 1 cup Flour (for dredging)
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion (rough dice)
- 2 Celery Ribs (rough dice)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (smashed)
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 2 Carrots (cut into 3/4-1 inch pieces)
- 1 Parsnip (cut into 3/4-1 inch pieces)
- 12 ounce Stout Beer
- 1 cup Red Wine
- 1 Quart Water (divided)
- 1/2 bunch Thyme
- 2 Russet Potatoes (cut into 3/4-1 inch pieces)
- 1 pound Cremini Mushrooms (quartered)
- Season Beef with Salt and allow to come to room temperature while cutting your other vegetables. Season Flour with Salt and Pepper and toss the Beef in the Flour to coat lightly, shaking off excess.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high with a few tablespoons of Olive Oil. Working in batches, brown the Beef on all sides and remove to a plate.
- Add the Onions and Celery to the hot Oil and cook for 2-3 minutes until lightly caramelized, seasoning with Salt and Pepper. Toss in the Garlic and cook just until fragrant.
- Add the Tomato Paste directly to the bottom of the pan and stir to coat the vegetables, cooking until rust colored. Add the Carrots and Parsnips and stir to coat in the Oil.
- Deglaze with the Stout and Red Wine, scraping up brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the 2 cups of Water, Thyme and return the Beef to the pot. Bring up to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and add remaining Water and Potatoes, cover and cook for 45 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large saute pan over high with a few tablespoons of Oil. Saute the Mushrooms, seasoning with Salt and Pepper, until browned on all sides.
- Garnish stew with the Mushrooms and serve.
Similar categories: Ingredients Beef Courses & Meals Dinner Beef Holidays & Occasions St. Patrick's Day