Mix up Carla's mocktail the whole family will love for your next BBQ!
Strawberry Basil Soda
- 1 pound Strawberries (trimmed)
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- Juice and Zest of 1 Lime (plus the zest of another lime for rimming glass)
- 1/2 cup Basil Leaves (plus 5 more for rimming glass)
- 1 cup Sugar (plus 3 tablespoons more for rimming glass)
- Place the Strawberries in a blender, and starting at low speed, puree until completely smooth. Pour through a fine mesh strainer and discard the solids. Measure 1 liquid cup of the Strawberry Juice, adding Water if necessary to yield 1 cup.
- Pour into a small sauce pot, and add the Lemon Juice, Lime Juice, Lime Zest, Basil and Sugar, and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly, and then remove from heat and allow to cool. Pour through a fine mesh strainer and discard the solids to yield Strawberry-Basil syrup.
- Microwave the 5 Basil leaves for 30 seconds. Combine with the 3 tablespoons Sugar and remaining Lime Zest in a food processor and pulse to create Basil scented Sugar. Pour onto a small plate or dish.
- Rim the edge of the glasses with a Lemon or Lime wedge, and dip in the scented Sugar. Add 3 tablespoons of the Strawberry-Basil Syrup to the glass, a few ice cubes, and top with Seltzer. Gently stir to combine and enjoy.