This strawberry pie is perfect for dessert on Pi Day!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 recipe Carla's Perfect Pie Crust
- 4 1/2 cups strawberries (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup sugar (divided)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cranberry juice
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (chilled)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Roll pie dough out into 11-inch circle. Place into a 9-inch pie dish, fold and crimp edges. Poke holes in the pie crust with the prongs of a fork and place dry baking beans in the center of the pie. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden brown on the edges. Remove the beans and bake an additional 5-10 minutes until the bottom is golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- For the Filling: in a medium saucepan add the 2 cups strawberries, 3/4 cup sugar, cranberry juice, cornstarch and bring to a boil. Mash the strawberries using the back of a wooden spoon or a potato masher. Allow to simmer until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add the remaining strawberries and lemon zest. Pour into the pie crust and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours. When ready to serve, top with whipped cream.
- For the Whipped Cream: in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, add the heavy cream. Whip until soft peaks form and add remaining sugar. Continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Serve on top of the pie.
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal