Layers of sweet strawberries and angel food cake, is there anything more heavenly than that?!?!
Strawberry & Thyme Shortcake
- Chilled Strawberries
- 1 pound Strawberries (thinly sliced or halved if small; divided)
- 3 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 Lime (zest & juice)
- 2 teaspoons Thyme Leaves
- Whipped Cream (to serve)
- Angel Food Cake
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Cake Flour (whisked)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 12 large Egg Whites (room temperature; reserve yolks for later use)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- Juice of Half Lime (less than a tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- In a small bowl, work together the Sugar, Lime Zest, and Thyme Leaves to infuse flavors.
- Combine the infused Sugar and half of the Strawberries in a large bowl and gently toss to combine, making sure ingredients are evenly distributed. Cover and chill for at least an hour.
- Remove berries from the refrigerator and place in a strainer over the same bowl and return to the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Toss the reserved Strawberries in the liquid just before serving.
- Plate a slice of cake with berries and top with a dollop of Whipped Cream.
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pulse the Sugar in a food processor until super fine.
- Whisk together the Salt and Flour and place in a sifter over parchment paper.
- In a large clean bowl, whisk the Egg Whites until foamy and sprinkle in the Cream of Tartar. Continue to whisk until soft peaks form then sprinkle in the Lime Juice. Whisk, gradually adding the superfine Sugar until all the Sugar has been added and stiff peaks form. Whisk in Vanilla just until incorporated.
- Begin to sift the Flour over the whipped whites in 3-4 batches, folding gently between additions to avoid deflating the mixture.
- Gently transfer the batter to a lightly greased tube pan with removable bottom. Gently swirl with a knife or metal spatula to help remove excess air pockets.
- Place the pan on a baking sheet and place in the oven to cook for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove cooked cake from oven and invert for 1 hour. Flip over and run a knife or metal spatula around the edges in the middle and outside to release cake. If still warm allow to cool further before releasing from the pan.
- Serve at room temperature.