Mario's mouthwatering pasta with shaved Italian ham will have your family saying Molto Bene!
Strichetti with Prosciutto
- 1 recipe fresh Pasta Dough
- Semolina Flour; for dusting
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 ounces Prosciutto; sliced
- 2 Shallots; sliced
- 2 Cloves Garlic; peeled
- Kosher Salt
- Parmigiano-Reggiano; to garnish
- 1 bunch Fresh Arugula; roughly chopped - tough stems discarded
- Using a stand mixer with a pasta roller attachment, roll out the pasta to 1/8-inch thick sheets. Cut the pasta into 2 by 2 1/2-inch rectangles and pinch in the middle to form bowties. Toss with Semolina and store refrigerated, covered, on Semolina-dusted baking sheets.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Season with Kosher Salt until it tastes like the sea.
- Drop the Strichetti in the boiling water and cook 1-2 minutes until al dente. Remove pasta reserving pasta water.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add a few tablespoons of Olive Oil. Add the Shallot and the Garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes until pale golden but not crispy, seasoning with Salt. Add a ladle of pasta water to reduce heat if Shallots need more time to cook without crisping. Add the Prosciutto and cook for 1 minute trying not to crisp.
- Add the cooked Strichetti to the skillet, and toss together, adding reserved pasta water as necessary to loosen the sauce. Top with the chopped Arugula and sprinkle aggressively with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. Remove from heat and toss together.
- Garnish with Parmigianno-Reggiano to serve.