Stuffed Short Ribs
These stuffed short ribs are a meal the whole family will love!
- step-by-step directions
Stuffed Short Ribs
- 1/4 cup + 6 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 pound oyster mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup parsley (leaves roughly chopped, divided)
- 1/2 cup pecorino romano (grated)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 4 beef short ribs (deboned, butterflied)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 carrots (peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rounds)
- 1 onion (peeled and chopped 1/2-inch dice)
- 2 celery stalks (cut in 1-inch pieces)
- 5 cloves garlic (peeled and sliced)
- 2 leeks (washed and cut 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 bottle red wine
- 2 cups chicken stock (or stock)
- 1/2 bunch thyme
- 1/2 bunch rosemary
- 1/2 bunch oregano
- 1 bunch parsley (leaves finely chopped)
- 2 lemons (peeled and zest thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons fresh horseradish (grated)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Cut a 1-inch deep slit horizontally into each short rib.
- In a large sauté pan add 1/4 cup olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Cut in 1/4-inch pieces, place in a medium bowl and allow to cool.
- To the bowl of mushrooms, add the bread crumbs, 1/2 cup parsley, pecorino, eggs and nutmeg and mix to combine. Open the short ribs flat, stuff evenly with mushroom mixture, fold the short rib together and tie using butcher's twine. In a large dutch oven, add remaining oil and heat over medium-high heat. Season short ribs with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add short ribs to the pan and cook, browning on all sides, about 7-9 minutes. Cook in batches if necessary. Remove meat from pan and set aside.
- Add the carrots, onion, celery, leeks and garlic and cook over high heat until browned and softened, about 4 minutes. Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the red wine and scrape the browned bits up from the bottom of the pan and allow to reduce slightly. Add chicken stock, thyme, rosemary and oregano. Bring the stock to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover pot and place in the oven. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- For the Gremolata: in a small bowl, add the parsley, lemon zest and horseradish and stir to combine.
- To Serve: place one short rib in each bowl, top with some pan juices and a spoonful of the gremolata. Serve immediately.
- Use the same filling for braciole!
- Substitute with your favorite kind of mushrooms.
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat