- step-by-step directions
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion (peeled, small dice)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled, minced)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears corn, divided)
- 1/2 cup baby lima beans (cooked)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup cherry or grape tomatoes (quartered)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (chiffonade)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 box store-bought pie dough
- 1/4 cup flour (for dusting)
- 1 egg plus 1 tablespoon of water (beaten)
- For the Succotash: In the bowl of a food processor add 1 cup of corn and pulse until smooth with some texture.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and add butter. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 4-5 minutes until softened and translucent. Add 1/2 cup of corn and lima beans and saute for an additional 3-5 minutes, being careful not to overcook the lima beans. Add the flour and stir to coat the vegetables. Stir in the corn puree and allow to cook an additional minute. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat, stir in the tomatoes and basil, and allow to cool completely.
- For the Handpies: Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface. Cut into 4 rectangles, about 4-inches by 5-inches. Repeat with second round of dough. Some of the corners may be rounded because of the size of the store-bought dough.
- Place about 2 rounded tablespoons of the succotash on the lower third of the dough leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Fold the rectangle in half over the filling. Using a fork, crimp the edges together and pierce the top to create steam holes. Brush the top with egg wash and salt and pepper. Repeat with remaining succotash and dough to make 3 more hand pies, 6 pies total.
- Transfer hand pies to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until pies are golden-brown, about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove to a baking rack to cool, about 15 minutes.
- Tip: 1. Assemble the handpies in advance and keep on a baking sheet wrapped in plastic wrap in the freezer. Bake when ready to eat and serve!
- 2. Make mini handpies for an easy party appetizer!
Similar categories: Ingredients Vegetables Fish & Seafood Shrimp Pies & Tarts Vegetables Dinner Lunch
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal