Sugar Cookie Christmas Trees
Cute enough to eat!
- step-by-step directions
For the Cookie:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour (plus more for dusting)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 tespoon nutmeg
For the frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar (sifted)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- green gel food coloring
- decorative sprinkles (for decorating)
- For the Cookies: Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla mix to combine. In a medium bowl sift together the flour, salt, baking soda and nutmeg. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mix to combine. Wrap in plastic wrap and remove to the refrigerator to chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- On a lighly floured surface, roll out the dough 1/4-inch thick. Using 3 circular cookie cutters, 2-inch, 1 1/2-inch and 1-inch, cut out an equal amount of cookies of each size.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and cook for 5-8 minutes until cooked through. Let cool for 2-3 minutes on the baking sheet then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Select one of each size cookie and set down a flat surface. Pipe a swirl of the frosting onto the largest cookie, top with the medium cookie and repeat with another swirl of frosting. Top with the smallest cookie and finish with frosting. Decorate with sprinkles. Repeat with remaining cookies. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For the Frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, a little at a time until combined. Add the kosher salt, vanilla and milk. Add the green gel food coloring until desired shade of green. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a star tip. Set aside until ready to use.
Roasted Pork Shoulder in Banana Leaf
Holiday Gingerbread Cookie
Zabaglione with Berries and Chocolate
Rich Chocolate Bundt Cake with Toasted Almonds
PB&J Cereal French Toast
Everything Bagel Cracker and Spinach Dip
Noodles with Cabbage and Onions
Make-Ahead Beef Bourguignon
Breakfast Carbonara Casserole
Sweet Potato Pierogies