Carla's flaky, buttery cookies are delicious and easy. This kid friendly recipe can be made in a matter of minutes, so you can spend your time decorating and eating the cookies.
- step-by-step directions
- For the Sugar Cookies:
- 3/4 pound Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
For the Royal Icing:
- 1 pound Confectioners Sugar
- 5 tablespoon Meringue Powder
- 1/4 cup Water
- For the Sugar Cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, lemon zest, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the butter and sugar until just combined. (Do not whip.) Add the vanilla. Gradually add in flour mixture on low just until the dough starts to come together. Dump onto a piece of plastic wrap and flatten to a disk. Wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough ¼ inch thick and cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place the cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet and chill for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with course sugar if this is the last step.
- Bake the cookies for 20 – 25 minutes, until the edges begin to brown or the cookies are crisp. Allow to cool at room temperature. Decorate with colored royal icing, if desired.
- For the Royal Icing: In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together sugar and meringue powder until combined. Add the water and beat at a medium speed until very glossy and stiff peaks form. If the icing fails to create the right consistency, add more sugar or water. Use immediately.
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Desserts Cookies Holidays & Occasions Halloween Valentine's Day Christmas Christmas Cookies
Chicken Scallopini with Red Wine Mushroom Sauce
Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches with Sauteed Peppers
Oven Roasted Salmon with Purple Cauliflower Puree and a Buttermilk Dill Slaw
Fluke with Brown Butter and Lemon Sauce
Peach Slab Pie
Pesto Chicken Cauliflower Bowl
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Flank Steak with Herb Dressing and Charred Broccolini
Kathy's Spicy Chicken
Publican Chicken with Chicory Salad
Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Cake