Sunday Roast Chicken
- step-by-step directions
Sunday Roast Chicken
- Kosher Salt
- 3 tablespoons packed Brown Sugar
- 2 quarts Cold Water
- 1 3- pound Chicken
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated Lemon Zest
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh Thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons Butter at room temperature (plus 2 tablespoons cold Butter)
- 1 Lemon (cut in half)
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- freshly ground Black Pepper
- Stir 1/3 cup salt and the sugar into the water until they dissolve. Place the chicken in a large resealable plastic bag and pour the brine over. Seal tightly and refrigerate for at least 3 hours and up to 9 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In a small bowl, mix the garlic, lemon zest, and thyme into the softened butter. Gently loosen the skin covering the breast and legs. Work the seasoned butter under the skin so that the butter covers the breast meat and thighs. Be very gentle with the bird. Don't tear the skin! Squeeze the lemon halves inside the cavity, then place the lemon halves inside. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine and push the wings behind the neck so that the chicken looks like it's relaxing watching TV.
- Place the chicken breast-side-up on a rack in a metal roasting pan. Roast until the juices run clear when the bird is pierced with a knife, about 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken and the rack from the roasting pan. Set the pan over a burner on medium heat. Add the wine and cook, stirring and scraping the browned bits from the pan. Cook for a second, then remove from the heat. Add the cold butter and stir until incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with the chicken, carving the chicken on a cutting board or serving platter just before serving.
Chicken Kabobs with Greek Village Salad
Grilled Grouper with Key Lime Mango Salsa
Leftover Meat 'n' Potato Ravioli
Spicy Roasted Head of Cauliflower
Grilled Shrimp with Bacon Jam
Tropical Grilled Shrimp Salad
Capri-Style Vegetable Salad
Grilled Calamari Chopped Salad with Chickpeas, Olives & Salami