Having a party for the big game? Serve these!
Michael Symon's Stuffed Hot Peppers
- 8 Hungarian hot peppers
- 1 1/2 Lb Italian sausage (if links remove the casing and use the loose sausage)
- 2 cups Yia Yia's Sunday Sauce
- 8 Fresh basil leaves
Yia's Yia's Sunday Sauce:
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1 Large Spanish onion (finely diced)
- 6 Garlic cloves (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 2 28 oz cans San Marzano tomatoes (with their juice)
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 2 Lb Meaty Beef bones
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Crushed red pepper flakes
- Prepare Yia Yia's Sunday Sauce: Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepan or large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, 2 minutes. Add the garlic and salt and cook until everything is soft but not browned, about 3 minutes.
- Squeeze the tomatoes one by one into the pan, pulverizing them by hand, and pour in their juice, too. Add the wine, beef bones, bay leaf, oregano, black pepper and red pepper flakes, if using. Bring the sauce to a simmer, then reduce the heat to its lowest possible setting, and continue to cook for 8 hours. The sauce should reduce by about one third.
- Taste for seasoning and add more salt if necessary. Remove the bones and bay leaf. If not using right away, let the sauce cool, then cover, and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Prepare the Stuffed Peppers: Preheat oven to 375F. Light coals in a charcoal grill for a medium-hot fire.
- Butter an 8 by 11-inch baking dish.
- Cut the tops off the peppers and spoon out any seeds. Divide the sausage into 8 equal portions and spoon it into the peppers to fill them.
- Pour the sauce into the prepared baking dish.
- Grill the peppers to char them on the outside, about 2 minutes per side. Remove them from the grill and lay the peppers on top of the sauce. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the sausage reaches an internal temperature of 150F. Divide among plates, spoon some tomato sauce on top, and garnish each with a basil leaf.