Sweet Potato Poppers with Buttermilk Glaze
A sweet treat for any occasion!
- step-by-step directions
Sweet Potato Poppers:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 sweet potatoes (peeled, boiled, 3/4 cup puree)
- 1/4 cup ricotta
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- flaky sea salt (to garnish)
- For the Sweet Potato Fritters: Fill a table top deep fryer with 3-4 inches of vegetable oil, or a Dutch oven, half full with vegetable oil, and preheat to 375ºF.
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Push the flesh of the sweet potatoes through a potato ricer into a large bowl. Add ricotta, eggs, and vanilla extract, whisking to combine. Add the sweet potato mixture into the flour mixture and stir until all ingredients are incorporated.
- With a small ice cream scoop, or two spoons, scoop the dough into small balls and drop the batter into the hot oil, frying on all sides until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove the donut drops to a paper-towel lined plate.
- For the Buttermilk Glaze: In a medium bowl, add the confectioners' sugar and drizzle in the buttermilk, whisking to combine.
- To Assemble: Dip the sweet potato fritters into the glaze to coat. Top each fritter with a sprinkle of flaky sea salt.
- Tip: Make the fritters in advance and keep warm in a 200ºF oven on a rack until ready to serve.
Similar categories: Ingredients Vegetables Fish & Seafood Shrimp Desserts Muffins, Scones, Coffee Cakes & Other Sweet Breads
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat