This tantalizing salad features exotic flavors that will give your taste buds a trip around the world
Tandoori Salmon Salad with Pickled Cippolini Onions, Cucumber Raita, and Marinated Lentils
- Tandoori Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons Curry Powder
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri Chile Powder or Hot Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric (ground)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander (ground)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin (ground)
- 1 teaspoon Sweet Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Powdered Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom (ground)
- 4 ; 4 ounce Atlantic Salmon Fillets; skinned
- 2 cups Nonfat Plain Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Fresh Lime Juice
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Cilantro Leaves (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Ginger (finely grated)
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 teaspoons Coriander (ground)
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri Chile Powder or Hot Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric (ground)
Marinated Green Lentil Salad
- 1 cup Dried Green Lentils (sorted & rinsed)
- 1 medium Yellow Onion (cut into large chunks; plus 1/4 cup finely chopped Yellow Onion)
- 1 medium Carrot (cut into large chunks)
- 1 Celery Stalk (cut into large chunks)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1/2 cup Nonfat plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Champagne Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 Japanese Cucumber (cut into 1/4 inch dice)
Pickled Cippolini Onions
- 1/2 cup Champagne Vinegar
- 1 slice Fresh Ginger
- 4 teaspoons Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Fresno Chile Pepper or other hot or medium-hot fresh Chile (thinly sliced crosswise with seeds)
- 5 Cippolini Onions (very thinly sliced crosswise into rings)
- 1 Japanese Cucumber (peeled & cut into chunks)
- 1/4 Red Onion (cut into chunks)
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 1 teaspoon Curry Powder
- 2 cups Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- 1 cup Fresh Mint Leaves
- 1 1/2 cups Nonfat plain Greek Yogurt
- 4 cups Packed Baby Arugula Leaves
- 1 medium Fennel Bulb (trimmed & thinly shaved)
- 8 Red Radishes (trimmed & thinly shaved)
- At least 8 hours before serving or the night before, prepare the Tandoori
- Seasonings: In a small bowl, stir together the Curry Powder, Chile Powder or Hot Paprika, Turmeric, Coriander, Cumin, Sweet Paprika, Nutmeg, Ginger, and Cardamom.
- Prepare the Salmon: Lightly season the Salmon Fillets with 1.5 tablespoons of the Tandoori Seasonings. Put them in a nonreactive bowl, cover, and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the Yogurt, Lemon Juice, Lime Juice, Cilantro, Garlic, Ginger, Oil, Coriander, Salt, Chile Powder or Paprika, Turmeric, and 2 tablespoons more of the Tandoori Seasonings. (Store any remaining Tandoori Seasonings in a small airtight container in the pantry for another use. It will keep for several months.)
- Pour the Yogurt mixture over the Salmon Fillets, turn them to coat, cover the dish, and place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 6 hours or overnight. As soon as the Salmon is marinating, prepare the Marinated Green Lentil Salad.
- In a large saucepan, combine the Lentils, large chunks of Onion, Carrot, Celery, and 1 teaspoon of the Salt. Add cold water to cover by several inches. Bring to a boil over high heat; then, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the Lentils are tender, about 45 minutes. Drain thoroughly. Pick out and discard the Onion, Carrot, and Celery chunks. Transfer the Lentils to a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together the Yogurt, Vinegar, Honey, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon Salt, and Sugar. Fold in the diced Cucumber and finely chopped Onion. Stir the mixture into the Lentils. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
- At least 3 hours before serving time, or up to the night before, prepare the Pickled Cippolini Onions. In a small nonreactive saucepan, combine the Vinegar, Ginger, Sugar, Salt, Chile, and 1/4 cup Water. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until the Sugar and Salt have dissolved. Place the Onions in a nonreactive bowl. Stir in the Vinegar mixture. Set aside until the liquid has cooled to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate. Leave the Onions marinating in the liquid until serving time.
- Up to 1 hour before cooking the Salmon, prepare the Cucumber Raita. In a blender, combine the Cucumber, Onion, Honey, and Curry Powder. Blend until smoothly pureed. Add the Cilantro and Mint and pulse until smoothly blended. Add the Yogurt and pulse 2 or 3 times, just until blended. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
- Cook the Salmon: Preheat an outdoor grill, a nonstick stovetop ridged grill pan, a countertop electric ridged grill, or the broiler. Grill or broil the Salmon until nicely browned on both sides but still moist inside, 5 to 7 minutes total.
- Assemble the Dish: While the Salmon is cooking, in a large bowl, toss together the Arugula, Fennel, and Radishes. Arrange beds of this salad on individual serving plates. Spread a bed of the Marinated Lentils on top of the salad on each plate. Place a grilled Salmon Fillet on top of each bed of lentils. Garnish each plate with some Cucumber Raita, passing the rest at the table. Drain the Pickled Cippolini Onions and scatter them on top of the salmon. Serve immediately.