The best side to go with your turkey.
Daphne Oz's Wild Rice
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Large Yellow Onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup Mixed Mushrooms
- 1 Stalk Celery (diced)
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme
- 2 1/2 cups Vegetable Broth
- 2 tablespoon Fresh Sage (finely chopped)
- 3/4 cup Wild Rice
- 1/2 cup Brown Rice
- 1/2 cup Flat-Leaf Parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 Pear (cored and diced)
- 1 Granny Smith (cored and diced)
- 2 tablespoon Pumpkin Seeds
- 2 tablespoon Almonds (chopped)
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat, and sauté onions until translucent and soft, about 5 minutes, remove onions and set aside. Add another tablespoon of oil, bring to medium heat, and add the mushrooms and celery until mushrooms are browned, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and add to onions. Season with salt and pepper.
- In the same pan, add the rice, broth, thyme, sage and bring to a boil, once boiling, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer for 25 minutes. Cook until rice is tender, then stir in the onions, mushrooms, pear, apple, pumpkin seeds, almonds, and parsley. Cover and cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring often. Transfer to a casserole and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.