One bite of these and you'll never want regular mashed potatoes again.
Nigella Lawson's Cheddar Mashed Potatoes With Bacon and Apples
- 4 1/2 pound Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 1/2 cup grated mild Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup onions (sliced)
- 2 Granny smith Apples (chopped)
- 6 strips of bacon
- Peel the potatoes (unless you have a ricer to mash them, as I do). Cut them in half, and drop them in a large saucepan of cold water.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and turn down the heat to keep things at a resolute simmer for approx. 40 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and feel ready to be mashed when pierced with a fork. Note: you can also cook the apples and onions with the potatoes.
- In a frying pan, fry bacon and remove from pan and drain.
- To bacon fat, add sliced onions and chopped apples, saute until tender.
- Drain the potatoes, pour the milk into the emptied-out but still hot pan, and let the milk warm up, pitting the pan over a low heat if need be.
- Turn off the heat and mash the potatoes with a potato ricer over the pan and into the milk -- every now and again you have to use the point of a sharp knife to help you remove the potato skins from the ricer. (or you can just put the peeled and cooked potatoes with the milk in the pan, and mash by hand.) When all the potatoes have been mashed, put the pan over a low to medium heat and beat well with a wooden spoon until hot again.
- Add the grated cheese in 2 batches, beating well with your wooden spoon in between each addition.
- Season to taste, top with chopped bacon and apples and serve piping hot.