Why would you eat bland off the shelf bread when you make this wonderful bread at home!
- 8 cups Flour
- 4 ounces Lukewarm water (may be slightly more or less, as needed)
- 2 teaspoons Yeast
- 5 1/2 tablespoons Lard or Vegetable Shortening
- 3 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- Add the Yeast to the 4 ounces lukewarm water and allow to bloom.
- Combine the Flour, Lard, Sugar, and Salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the hook attachment. Add the Water with the bloomed yeast and knead in the mixer until dough is formed. Turn out onto a Floured work surface and knead by hand for 10 minutes, moistening your hands while you knead if the dough is not smooth enough.
- Place in a bowl, and store covered in a warm place for 1 hour to rise.
- To cook the Tigelle, place dough on a floured work surface and punch the dough down and roll out to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut out into 4-inch rounds.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, covering the pan after they are flip to allow them to cook through. Remove and serve.