A spicy red sauce on your pasta is simply perfetto!
Tortelli of Potato and Chives All' Arrabbiata
- 4 Russet Potatoes (boiled 40 minutes and peeled)
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 cup chopped Chives (plus more to garnish)
- 1 recipe Basic Pasta Dough
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 Red Onion (cut into 1/4-inch dice)
- 2 cloves Garlic (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 cup Tomato Paste
- 1 - 14 ounce can Whole Peeled Tomatoes (crushed by hand)
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano to serve
- In a mixing bowl, crush Potatoes with a masher until smooth. Add Cheese, Chives, and Olive Oil, and mix well.
- Roll out Pasta to thinnest setting and cut into 4-inch squares. Place 1 tablespoon of Potato Mixture in center of each square. Fold opposite corners of each square together and press firmly to seal and form a triangle. Bring the opposite points of the triangle together and press firmly to meld. Continue until all pasta is stuffed and formed into Tortelli.
- Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot and add 3 tablespoons Kosher Salt.
- Place remaining Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a 12 inch sauté pan with Onion, Garlic and Chili Flakes and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the Tomato Paste and cook for 1 minute, then add the Crushed Tomatoes. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook 10 minutes, and then remove from the heat.
- Drop the Tortelli into the boiling water and cook 2-3 minutes until tender and just cooked through.
- Remove the Tortelli and toss into the pan with the Tomato Sauce and place over medium-low and cook 1 minute, until nicely combined, then place on a warm platter and serve immediately garnished with more Chives and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.