Chai-infused ganache adds another dimension of flavor to this otherwise chocolately confection.
Triple Chocolate Tart by Carla Hall
- For the Chocolate Pudding:
- 3 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Table Salt
- 2 2/3 cups Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 5 ounces Semisweet Chocolate (Melted)
- 4 Large Egg Yolks
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (Softened)
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
For the Chocolate Shortbread:
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Butter (2 Sticks; Softened)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
For the Chocolate Chai Ganache:
- 1/2 pint Heavy Cream
- 2 teaspoons Spiced Chai (tea)
- 1 cup Dark or Semi Sweet Chocolate (Finely Chopped)
- For the Chocolate Pudding: In a large saucepan, whisk the cornstarch, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Gradually whisk in the cold milk and cream, then bring to a low boil over medium-low heat. Remove from the heat and whisk in the melted chocolate. Continue whisking until smooth.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, then add the hot milk to the yolks, a little at a time, while whisking continuously. When the bottom of the mixing bowl is warm, whisk in the remaining milk.
- Pour the mixture into the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring continuously. Be sure to scrape along the bottom of the pan and along the sides. Continue cooking and stirring until the pudding thickens. Let it boil for 30 seconds, then remove from the heat.
- Strain the pudding through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl. Fold in the butter and vanilla until fully incorporated. Fill tart shell with pudding and refrigerate uncovered until firm and set, at least 4 hours.
- Top tart with ganache, swirling to evenly coat the top. Refrigerate uncovered until set, at least 10 minutes and up to 1 day. Garnish with chocolate curls.
- For the Chocolate Shortbread: Preheat oven to 325°. Combine flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl. In a medium bowl beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until creamed well, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla extract. With the mixer on low, gradually add in flour mixture.
- Divide dough into two discs, wrap in plastic and chill for at least 30 minutes. Roll 1 disc out between two pieces of plastic wrap or parchment paper to 1/4 inch thick. Place in tart pan (chill for 10 minutes if dough gets too soft), prick bottom with a fork, and blind bake with pie weights.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until crust is pale golden, not brown. Let stand for two minutes. Place on a rack to cool completely.
- For the Chocolate Chai Ganache: While crust is baking prepare ganache. In a small pot, bring cream just to a bowl. Add chai and reduce heat to low. Allow tea to steep in cream for 5 minutes. Place chocolate in stainless bowl, then strain warm cream over chocolate. Stir chocolate and cream until chocolate melts completely. Let cool until spreadable.
Similar categories: Desserts