Turkey Patties with Caramelized Onions
Carla Hall's Turkey Melt
- 12 pieces Rye Bread
- 2 pounds Ground Turkey (dark meat)
- 2 large White Onions (sliced thinly)
- 1/3 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 sprigs fresh Thyme
- 6 slices Emmenthaler Cheese
- spicy Mustard
- 1/3 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 stick of Butter (at room temperature)
- Olive Oil
- Preheat the griddle over medium-high heat. In a large saute pan over medium heat, add about 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Once hot, add the onions and a large pinch of salt. Stir to combine.
- Toss in the sprigs of thyme and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are caramelized. In the last five minutes of cooking, add the balsamic vinegar. Cook until all the liquid has evaporated. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove the sprigs of thyme.
- While the onions are cooking, make the turkey patties. In a medium size mixing bowl, add the turkey meat and season with salt and pepper. To make sure the seasoning is correct, cook off a small piece of meat before forming all the turkey into patties.
- Form the turkey into 5 oz. patties, or large enough to fit the bread. Drizzle the patties with olive oil and then place them on the griddle. Cook for about 4-5 minutes per side. After the patties are flipped, place a piece of cheese on each patty and cover with a lid to help melt the cheese.
- While the turkey patties are cooking, smear the slices of bread first with about a teaspoon of butter and then a teaspoon of mayonnaise. This will be the outside of the sandwich. Flip the bread over and smear a tablespoon of mustard onto one piece of bread from each sandwich.
- Place a pattie on the other piece of bread. Top the pattie with 1/4 cup of caramelized onions. Close the sandwich so that the cheese is on top of the onions. Press down firmly.
- Add a large pat of butter to the griddle and spread it evenly over the hot surface. Place the sandwiches on the griddle and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Remove sandwiches from the griddle and let cool for a minute. Cut in half and serve.