The Oz family regularly enjoys taco night. As a kid Daphne ate tofu tacos, but now she's partial to this healthy turkey one.
- For the Tacos:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 jalapeno (seeded and minced)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 12- ounce bottle of beer
- 12 hard taco shells
- 1 can pinto beans
For the Shredded Salad:
- 1 red onion (diced)
- 1 head romaine (shredded)
- 1 tomato (diced)
- 1 cup green pimento stuffed olives (sliced)
For the Creamy Chipotle Dressing:
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
- juice of 2 limes
- pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- For the Tacos: Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil and the ground turkey. Cook until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes and then add the onion, garlic, and jalapeno pepper, and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir in the spices, tomato paste, beans and beer and season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue cooking until liquid has reduced slightly.
- For the Shredded Salad: Combine all of the ingredients for the salad in a large bowl and set aside.
- For the Creamy Chipotle Dressing: Whisk together all of the ingredients and add a pinch of salt. Pour over the salad ingredients and toss to coat. Serve with the tacos.
- To Assemble: Fill a taco shell with the turkey mixture and top with the salad.