The Oz family regularly enjoys taco night. As a kid Daphne ate tofu tacos, but now she's partial to this healthy turkey one.
For the Tacos:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 jalapeno (seeded and minced)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 (12-ounce) bottle of beer
- 12 hard taco shells
- 1 can pinto beans
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Creamy Chipotle Salad:
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- pinch salt
- 1 red onion (diced)
- 1 head romaine (shredded)
- 1 tomato (diced)
- 1 cup green pimento stuffed olives (sliced)
- For the Tacos: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil and the ground turkey. Cook until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeno pepper, cook for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in the spices, tomato paste and beer and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until liquid has reduced slightly. Add pinto beans and stir to combine.
- To assemble, fill a taco shell with the turkey mixture and top with the salad.
- For the Creamy Chipotle Salad: In a large bowl, whisk together the vegan mayonnaise, chipotle chili powder, honey, juice of 2 limes, apple cider vinegar, season with a pinch of salt. Add the red onion, romaine, tomatoes, and green pimiento stuffed olives, toss to coat.