Garfield would have smothered Odie for this tasty lasagna
- 1 package Lasagna Noodles (cooked according to package instructions)
- 1 Eggplant (medium size - peeled and sliced lengthwise into 1/2" pieces)
- 1 Zucchini (large; sliced lengthwise into 1/2" pieces)
- 1 Yellow Squash (large; sliced lengthwise into 1/2" pieces)
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 quart Milk (hot)
- 3/4 teaspoon Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 3 cups Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Lemon (zest only)
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Small Bunch of Basil (roughly chopped or torn)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Lay out the Eggplant, Zucchini and Yellow Squash on a sheet tray and season both sides with Salt. Let sit for at least 20 minutes. This can be done while you are cooking your Pasta. When your grill is hot, drizzle the salted vegetables with Olive Oil and place them on the grill for about 2 minutes per side, or until nicely grill-marked and softened. Set aside.
- For the Béchamel: Place a sauce pot over medium high heat and add the Butter. When the Butter has melted, whisk in the Flour to form a paste. Next whisk in the Milk in thirds, making sure to smooth out any lumps. Bring the mixture up to a gentle boil, while stirring occasionally. Season with 1.5 teaspoons Salt and the Nutmeg along with some Freshly Cracked Black Pepper. Turn the heat down to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally for 40 minutes then whisk in the Ricotta and Lemon Zest. Keep the sauce over low heat while you build your Lasagna.
- To Assemble: Lightly spray the bottom and sides of a 13x9 pan. Spoon some of the Béchamel in to the bottom of the pan, spreading it in to a thin layer. Next, lay down 4-5 sheets of cooked Pasta, over lapping them slightly. Grate a good amount of Parmesan over the Pasta followed by all of the Eggplant. Spoon some more Béchamel over the Eggplant, about 1/3 of it, and spread it out in an even layer being sure to cover the sides.
Lay down another layer of Pasta followed by more Parmesan and the Zucchini and Yellow Squash. Add more Béchamel over the top, smoothing it out. Finish with one more layer of Pasta, the rest of the Béchamel and some more grated Parmesan.
Place in the preheated oven, uncovered and bake for about 40 minutes, until slightly golden brown and set. Remove from the oven and let set for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Garnish with a good sprinkle of torn Basil and enjoy.