A tasty tempura makes your veggies oh so delicious.
- step-by-step directions
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 2 cups Rice Flour (plus additional to dredge)
- 2 cups Ice Cold Seltzer Water
- pinch Salt
- 1 head Broccoli (cut into large; evenly sized pieces)
- 1 head Cauliflower (cut into large; evenly sized pieces)
- 3 Carrots (peeled and cut into evenly sized pieces)
- 1/4 pound Green Beans (trimmed)
- 1/4 pound Shiitake Mushrooms (trimmed; cut into evenly sized pieces)
- 1/2 pound Asparagus (trimmed; cut into evenly sized pieces)
- Vegetable Oil (for frying)
- Soy Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 3 tablespoons Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 Scallions (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon Ginger (grated)
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- Lemon Juice (to taste)
- Sambal Oelek (to taste)
- Wasabi Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Wasabi Paste
- Juice and zest of 1 Lime
- Preheat 2-3 inches of Vegetable Oil to 360°F.
- Whisk Salt and Pepper into the Flour.
- In a bowl, mix the Egg Yolks and Seltzer Water. Add the Flour at once, and mix until just combined -- there should be lumps and the Flour should not be completely integrated.
- Dredge the Vegetables in the additional Flour, and then dip in the batter to coat.
- Fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until batter is very crispy. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and season with Salt. Serve immediately with dipping sauces.
- For the Soy Dipping Sauce: Stir together all ingredients, and adjust to taste with Lemon and Sambal.
- For the Wasabi Dipping Sauce: Stir together the Yogurt, Wasabi and Lime. Adjust to taste and serve.
Similar categories: Ingredients Vegetables Courses & Meals Appetizers, Starters & Snacks Vegetable Appetizers Cuisine Vegetarian Other Side Dishes
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal