A light and easy meal using your favorite veggies!
- step-by-step directions
- 2 ounces avocado oil or canola oil
- 2 medium eggplants (peeled, cut into 3/4-inch cubes)
- 5 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 small yellow onion (peeled, medium dice)
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano (leaves removed, chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (seeded, medium dice)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled, minced)
- 1 jalapeno (stem removed, minced)
- 6 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup green lentils (thoroughly rinsed in cold water, drained)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15 ounces)
- cilantro (to garnish)
- jalapeno (shaved, to garnish)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Place a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add the avocado oil. Add the eggplant and cook until it starts to soften and brown, about 6-7 minutes. Season with salt.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cocoa powder, and oregano, stirring to coat the vegetables. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeno and cook until the vegetables soften and become aromatic, about 4 minutes.
- Add the lentils, vegetable stock, and diced tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, about 40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Top with cilantro and jalapeno to serve.
- Tip: Add your favorite vegetables to this chili. If you prefer no cocoa powder, simply remove for a flavorful soup.
Similar categories: Game Day Chili
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal