Lighten up a heavy chili with ground chicken and chicken sausage.
White Chicken Chili
- Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion (diced)
- 1 Red or Green Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 4 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 pound Ground Chicken
- 3 links Chicken Sausage (casing removed)
- 2 tablespoons Chili Powder
- 2 tablespoons toasted Fennel Seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground Cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon seasoning Salt
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons Red Chili Flakes
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 6 ounces mild Lager Beer
- 2 15- ounce cans Cannellini Beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 Jalapenos (finely chopped and muddled with salt)
- 2 cups fresh Corn Kernels (cut from the cob)
- 4-5 cups Homemade Chicken Stock
- 4 cups Baby Spinach leaves (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup Parsley (chopped)
- 2 roasted Poblanos (stems and seeds removed; chopped)
- Kosher Salt
- Honey Corn Bread to serve
- Sour Cream for garnish
- chopped Scallions for garnish
- In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground chicken and sausage and season with salt. Cook until the edges of the chicken are brown and meat begins to caramelize, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the onions and bell peppers along with another pinch of salt and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the dried spices and cook until very fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes, and add the flour and stir for 30 seconds. Deglaze with the lager, scraping up brown bits form the bottom of the pot and cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, jalapenos, corn, and most of the chicken stock, reserving 1 cup of stock. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, and stir frequently. Cook over medium low heat for about an hour.
- Add the spinach, Parmesan, parsley, and roasted poblanos. Add a little more of the reserved chicken stock if needed to thin. Cook for another 10 minutes, taste/adjust seasonings. Garnish bowls of chili with sour cream and scallions and serve with cornbread.