Yankee Pot Roast
What is better then a nice, hearty Yankee Pot Roast made by Mario Batali?
- step-by-step directions
Yankee Pot Roast
- 1 chuck roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces salt pork (cut into 1/4-inch dice)
- 2 large carrots (peeled and cut 2-inch chunks)
- 2 medium onions (peeled, quartered)
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock or broth
- 1 tablespoon rosemary (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon thyme (chopped)
- 1 pound small red-skin potatoes (halved)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons chives (thinly sliced to garnish)
- slider potato rolls (to serve)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Generously season the roast with salt and pepper. In a large, ovenproof heavy pot or Dutch oven, add the oil and heat over medium heat. Add the salt pork and cook until rendered, about 5 minutes. Remove the salt pork, but leave all the fat in the pot. Turn the heat to medium-high and brown each side of the roast, 8-10 minutes per side.
- Return the rendered salt pork pieces to the pot, along with the carrots, onions, wine, 2 cups of the stock, rosemary and thyme. Bring to a boil, cover, and roast in the oven for 2 hours. Check occasionally to make sure there is plenty of liquid in the pot. If it gets low, add more stock or water. After 2 hours, add the potatoes, and bake, uncovered for another 30 minutes.
- Transfer the meat and vegetables to a platter. Put the pot over medium-high heat and bring the liquid to a boil. In a small bowl, whisk the flour into the remaining 1/2 cup of room-temperature stock. Pull the pot off the heat, whisk in the slurry, then return to the heat and continue whisking until the gravy thickens.
- Garnish the meat and vegetables with chives. Serve with the gravy on the side and potato rolls.
- Tip: 1. Substitute pancetta if you can't find salt pork.
- 2. Try making this dish in your slow cooker. Just render the salt pork and sear the meat before adding it to the slow cooker. Turn on low and allow to cook until meat is tender.
rate this recipe
Oven Smoked Lamb Ribs with Potato and Pea Salad
Banana Cream Pie
Spring Three Bean Salad
Grilled Greens Salad
Lightened Up Chickpea and Mushroom Meatball Platter
Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Poblano Vinaigrette and Goat Cheese Cream
Not Your Mama's Pigs in a Blanket
Fried Chicken Sandwich
Strawberry Pie with Brown Butter Crust
Spring Quiche with Ham and Asparagus
Palak Paneer (Creamy Spiced Spinach with Cheese)