A tasty tomato sauce!
Yia Yia's Sunday Sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large spanish onion (finely diced)
- 6 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (or more to taste)
- 2 28- oz cans San Marzano tomatoes (with their juice)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 pounds meaty beef bones
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepan or large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, 2 minutes. Add the garlic and salt and cook until everything is soft but not browned, about 3 minutes.
- Squeeze the tomatoes one by one into the pan, pulverizing them by hand, and pour in their juice, too. Add the wine, beef bones, bay leaf, oregano, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, if using. Bring the sauce to a simmer, then reduce the heat to its lowest possible setting, and continue to cook for 8 hours. The sauce should reduce by about one third.
- Taste for seasoning and add more salt if necessary. Remove the bones and bay leaf. If not using right away, let the sauce cool, then cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months.