Sick of the same old flapjacks? Try these veggie-filled delights next sunrise!
Zucchini-Potato Pancakes with Tomato, Merguez and Zabaglione
- For the Pancakes:
- 3 Zucchini (grated and drained)
- 2 Potatoes (grated and drained)
- 1 Egg
- Zest of 1 Orange
- pinch Kosher Salt
- 1 tablespoon Flour
- 1/4 cup Mint
- 1/4 cup Parsley
- For the Zabaglione:
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 4 tablespoons Marsala
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- dash Tabasco
- 2 tablespoons Basil (chiffonade to garnish)
- For the Salad:
- 2 Tomatoes (halved on the equator)
- 2 cups Arugula
- 2 Serrano Chilies (diced)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Merguez Sausage
- Parmigiano Reggiano (for garnish)
- 6 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon White Vinegar
- For the Pancakes: Combine the zucchini, potato, egg, flour, mint, parsley, orange zest, a pinch of salt and combine and form into small pancakes.
- Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, and crisp the pancakes, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- For the Salad: In a cast iron pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and the merguez sausage, and the tomatoes, cut side down. Cook tomatoes until charred and then flip over, allowing the intact side to blister slightly and break down. Flip the merguez once it has browned and cooked halfway through. Garnish the tomatoes with parmigiano reggiano and allow the cheese to melt.
- For the Zabaglione: Make a double boiler in a medium bowl. Add the egg yolks, marsala, lemon juice, and hot sauce and whisk until the sauce begins to thicken a bit, as it aerates. Remove the bowl from the double boiler if the eggs begin to cook or sauce breaks.
- For the Salad: Add the arugula and chilies to the pan where you cooked the tomatoes and merguez, and toss. Once arugula wilts, about a minute, remove from heat.
- Poach eggs by bringing a saucepot of water to a simmer, and add the white vinegar. Swirl to create a whirlpool, and crack an egg into the center. Allow to cook for 4 to 5 minutes to desired doneness. Repeat for remaining eggs.
- Serve a pancake topped with a poached egg, some of the salad, and a drizzle of zabaglione with a piece of merguez. Garnish with basil.
Similar categories: Ingredients Vegetables Zucchini Potato Potato Pancakes Courses & Meals Breakfast & Brunch