MARJORIE’S CANDY CANE COOKIES
1 1/2 CUPS BUTTER
1 CUP SUGAR
1 TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
1/2 TEASPOON ALMOND EXTRACT
3 1/2 CUPS ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
1 TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
1/4 TEASPOON SALT
1/2 TEASPOON RED FOOD COLORING
1/2 CUP CRUSHED PEPPERMINT CANDY
1/2 CUP SUGAR
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Stir into butter mixture and combine well. Divide dough into two equal portions.
- Blend in red food coloring in one part.
- Using 1 teaspoon of dough, roll out to a pencil-thin strip about 4-5 inches long. Rolling the strips on a pastry cloth with your hands makes a smooth strip. Place a white strip and a red strip side by side and twist them together. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Turn one end to form a handle for the cane. Roll the strips one at a time, as rolling them all at one time could make the dough dry before you twist each one.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in a preheated 375-degree oven. Place cookies on a cooling rack.
- Combine crushed peppermint stick candy and sugar.
- Sprinkle mixture over warm cookies.
- Makes about 60 candy cane cookies.