Arista alla Porchetta
Italian Pork Roast
- step-by-step directions
Arista alla Porchetta
- pork loin roast (boneless, about 4 pounds, butterflied)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 bulb fennel (trimmed, fronds reserved and chopped, bulb thinly sliced)
- 2 pounds ground pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons rosemary (chopped)
- 6 cloves garlic (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 4 red onions (cut in half)
- 1 lemon (halved)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lay the pork loin flat and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a 10- to 12-inch sauté pan, heat 1/4th cup of the olive oil over medium high heat until smoking. Add the sliced onion and fennel and sauté until softened and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add the ground pork, fennel seeds, rosemary, garlic, and 2 tablespoons pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pork is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add all but 1 tablespoon of the fennel fronds, the bread crumbs, and eggs to the pork mixture and mix gently. Spread the mixture over the pork loin. Roll it up, starting from a long side, like a jelly roll, and tie with butcher's twine. Place the red onions in a roasting pan and set the pork on top. Roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature is 135F. Remove and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice the pork into 1-inch-thick pieces. Serve drizzled with the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil and a good squeeze of lemon, garnished with the reserved fennel fronds, and with the onions on the side.
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa