Black Bean and Egg Tacos
Mario Batali and his family challenged themselves to live off $124 a week for a family of four, which is the amount of food stamps that are provided to a family of that size. One of the results? This delicious, and inexpensive, breakfast.
- step-by-step directions
- 1 can black beans (drained & rinsed)
- 4-6 eggs (beaten)
- 1 bunch scallions (thinly sliced, greens and whites separated)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil hot sauce (to taste)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 12 corn tortillas (warmed)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a large mixing bowl, add black beans, eggs, scallion whites and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Add oil to a skillet and place over medium-high heat. Add the bean and egg mixture. Using a rubber spatula, stir and cook until the eggs are softly scrambled. Remove from heat. Add a couple dashes of hot sauce and the cheese. Stir to melt the cheese.
- Divide the egg and bean mixture evenly among the warmed tortillas. Garnish with scallion greens and serve.
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat