Chicken Fried Steak
Nothing says yum like a breaded and fried steak smothered in gravy!
- step-by-step directions
Chicken Fried Steak
- 2 pounds cube steak or bottom round (pounded/tenderized to 1/4" thickness)
- 2 cups flour (divided)
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- For the steak: Prepare three baking dishes. In the first add 1 cup flour, in the second add eggs and whisk with 1/4 cup milk. In the third, add the remaining flour, paprika, chipotle powder, season with salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
- Season meat on both sides with salt and pepper. Dredge steak in flour, shaking off any excess. Then place in eggs, turning to coat, and dredge in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess. Remove to a baking sheet fitted with a wire rack and repeat with remaining steaks.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter and allow to melt. Add three pieces of the dredged steak and allow to cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove meat to a paper towel-lined plate and keep warm by covering with foil. Repeat until all of the meat is cooked.
- For the gravy: After all of the meat is cooked, pour all but 1/4 cup of the grease into a heatproof bowl. Return the skillet to medium-low heat. Add flour and whisk to form a paste, and continue cooking until deep golden brown in color. Add milk, whisking constantly. Add thyme, season with salt and pepper and cook, whisking until the gravy is smooth and thickened, about 5-10 minutes. Add more milk, if necessary.
- Serve the steak with the gravy spooned over the top.
rate this recipe
Chaufa: Peruvian Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng)
Greek and Italian-Inspired Stuffed Peppers
Skillet-Roasted Lemon Chicken
Asian-Stuffed Mushrooms with Thai Peanut Butter Sauce
Jerk Chicken Skewers
Sparkling Watermelon Agua Fresco with Basil Simple Syrup
Strawberry Lemonade Cake
Strawberry, Vanilla, and Cookie Dough Milkshake
Amaretto and Chocolate Chip Milkshake
Pepper Steak with Broccoli Stem Salad