This bone-in ham will emerge from the oven juicy and sweet, thanks to the brown sugar and pineapple juice.
- step-by-step directions
- 1 8- pound bone-in Ham with rind removed
- 1/4 cup whole Cloves
- 1 pound Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Unsweetened Pineapple Juice
- 2 1/2 cups Sangria Wine (or Burgundy wine)
- Orange Peel
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the ham in a large roaster pan with the fat side up. Use a sharp knife to score the ham 1/4-inch deep. Place whole cloves on top in a line about 1/2-inch apart, be sure to use plenty. Pack the top of the ham with the brown sugar to coat the surface. It is okay if brown sugar falls into the pan, it will incorporate into the sangria.
- Roast, uncovered, until the sugar begins to melt, about 20 minutes. During this time, mix together the pineapple juice, sangria wine, and orange peel in a bowl. After 20-25 minutes, the sugar should have started to melt.
- Pour 1 cup of the wine mixture over the ham and return the ham to the oven for 40 minutes.
- Cover the ham with foil and cook for another hour in the oven. Baste the ham with a second cup of wine, stirring it into the pan mixture created at the bottom.
- Return the ham to the oven for 2 more hours, basting every 30 to 40 minutes.
- Uncover the ham for the last hour and lower the temperature to 325 degrees F. Baste every 20 minutes with the pan drippings. The meat thermometer should read 160 degrees F before serving the ha
rate this recipe
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat