Almond Braised Chicken Thighs with Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts
Trending Winter ingredients transformed!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 cup whole raw almonds
- 5 cups hot filtered water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Kosher salt (to taste)
Braised Chicken Thighs:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds chicken thighs (bone-in, skin on)
- 3 cups butternut squash (peeled, medium diced)
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts (halved or quartered if large)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (peeled, freshly grated)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup almond milk (recipe above)
- 1 blood orange (juiced)
- parsley (finely chopped)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- For the Almond Milk: In a large bowl, add the almonds and cover with 4-inches of cold water and allow to sit for at least 12 hours or overnight.
- The next day, drain and rinse the almonds in a colander. To the carafe of a blender add the almonds, salt, hot water and honey. Blend ingredients on high speed until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Remove to a thin kitchen towel set over a bowl to strain the mixture. Squeeze to separate the milk from the solids.
- For the Braised Chicken Thighs: Heat a heavy bottomed pan with olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste and add to the pan skin-side down and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Flip the chicken over and let it brown on the other side, about 2 more minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate leaving 2-3 tablespoons of fat left in the pan, and drain all but 2-3 tablespoons of fat from the pan.
- To the same pan, add the squash and Brussels sprouts. Season with salt and stir in ginger. Cook until the vegetables begin to caramelize, about 8 minutes. Add the chicken back to the pan, skin side up and add the almond milk, and chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in the parsley and blood orange juice to serve.
- Tips: Use leftover solids after straining almond milk in smoothies!
rate this recipe
Grilling Three Ways
Classic, Dry, Extra Dry or Extra Extra Dry Martini
Cajun Scallops with Grits and Tomatoes
Giant Donut Cake
Corn Fritters with Spicy Honey
Cantaloupe Agua Fresca
Craig T. Nelson's Chicken Burritos
30 Layer Rainbow Crepe Cake
Pan-Roasted Ribeye with Radishes
Grilled Hot dog with Corn Relish and Pickled Red Onion
Summertime Ambrosia Salad