Apple Pie with Cheddar Cheese Crust
What's more American than Apple Pie?
- step-by-step directions
Cheddar Cheese Crust:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks, chilled and cut into cubes)
- 1 1/2 cups aged, white, sharp, cheddar cheese (chilled and shredded)
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
- 8 cups Granny Smith apples (peeled and sliced)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter (chllled and cut in small cubes)
- 1 egg (beaten with 1 tablespoon heavy cream)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- For the Crust: In the bowl of a food processor, add the flour, sugar, and salt. Pulse a few times to mix. Add butter and continue pulsing until small crumbs form. Add cheese and pulse to combine. While pulsing, add the ice water, a tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together.
- Remove the dough to a floured surface, and form into a ball. Divide dough in half and flatten into two disks, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for one hour.
- For the Filling:
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. In a large bowl, add the apples, sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and stir to combine. Add the cream and toss to coat. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disk of dough to a 13-inch round. Brush off any excess flour. Place pie crust in a 10-inch pie plate. Roll out the second disk of dough to a 12-inch round.
- Scoop the filling into the pie shell and dot with butter. Place the second pastry crust on top of the filling, fold over the bottom pie crust and crimp edges together.
- With a pairing knife, cut slits in the shape of an X in the top of the crust. Brush the crust with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes. Remove pie from oven and cover edges with foil, return to oven and continue to bake for another 30 minutes. Remove and cool on baking rack for 1 hour.
- Serve each slice of pie with one scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Tip: Make the pie dough in advance and keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Similar categories: Desserts Pies & Tarts Apples Ingredients Fruit Apples Courses & Meals Desserts Pies & Tarts
rate this recipe
Chaufa: Peruvian Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng)
Greek and Italian-Inspired Stuffed Peppers
Skillet-Roasted Lemon Chicken
Asian-Stuffed Mushrooms with Thai Peanut Butter Sauce
Jerk Chicken Skewers
Sparkling Watermelon Agua Fresco with Basil Simple Syrup
Strawberry Lemonade Cake
Strawberry, Vanilla, and Cookie Dough Milkshake
Amaretto and Chocolate Chip Milkshake
Pepper Steak with Broccoli Stem Salad