Spicy Tomato Rice
- step-by-step directions
- 2 plum tomatoes (cored)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup minced white onion
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 serrano chile
- 1 sprig cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Using a box grater, grate the tomato into a medium bowl.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a heavy skillet. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the rice and cook until slightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Add grated tomato, tomato sauce, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Add the serrano, cilantro, and salt. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and keep covered for 8 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork, transfer to bowl, and serve.
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa