Asian-Stuffed Mushrooms with Thai Peanut Butter Sauce
A tasty recipe from Chef Babette!
- step-by-step directions
- 4 portobello mushroom caps
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1 (8-ounce) package extra firm organic tofu (drained, cubed)
- 1 tablespoon liquid aminos
- 4 cups bok choy (chopped)
- 4 cups Napa cabbage (cored, thinly sliced)
- 2 cups sweet peppers (stemmed, seeded, sliced)
- 4 cups mung bean sprouts
- 5 cups black rice (cooked according to package instructions)
- green onion (chopped)
- 2 cups green bell pepper (stemmed, seeded, diced)
- garlic powder (to taste)
- Sea salt (to taste)
- 1/4 cup black sesame seeds (to garnish)
Thai Peanut Butter Sauce:
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons organic peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/4 cup fresh juiced ginger
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup cashews (soaked in water until soft)
- For the Stuffed Mushrooms: Clean each mushroom with a damp paper towel. Wipe the front and back gently to remove ant dirt. Using a spoon, remove the stems and gills from the mushroom caps and discard gills and chop stems.
- Place a steamer basket inside a large pot and fill with 1-inch of water. Place mushrooms in the steamer basket. Bring the water to a simmer and allow the mushrooms to steam, covered, for 4 minutes.
- Heat a large saute pan with sesame oil over medium-high heat. Fry the tofu cubes until golden brown on all sides, about 7-8 minutes. Add the liquid aminos during the last minute of cooking. Remove tofu to a large bowl.
- To the same saute pan, add the bok choy, napa cabbage, sweet peppers and mung bean sprouts and saute for about 4-5 minutes. Remove to the bowl with the tofu.
- In a separate large bowl, add the cooked rice, mushroom stems, green onion and bell pepper. Season with sea salt and garlic powder and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Remove the mushroom caps to a plate. Add 1/2 cup of seasoned rice mixture to each mushroom cap and two cups of the stir fry mixture. Garnish with black sesame seeds and a drizzle of the peanut butter sauce.
- For the Thai Peanut Butter Sauce: In the carafe of a blender, add the non-dairy milk, peanut butter, tamari, agave, ginger juice, rice vinegar, garlic, chili flakes and cashews and blend until creamy. Serve with the stuffed mushroom caps.
- Tip: Use any leftover sauce to spice up any stir fry!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa