Banana Cream Pie
We'll have all the slices, please!
- step-by-step directions
Vanilla Wafer Crust:
- 2 cups vanilla wafer cookies (finely ground, about 60 cookies)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 bananas (peeled, sliced 1/4-inch thick)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1 vanilla bean (split and scraped)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 banana (peeled)
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream (chilled)
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- For the Vanilla Wafer Crust: Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the wafer cookies, pulse until ground. With the machine running, add the sugar, butter and salt. Pulse until it forms a wet, sand-like texture. Remove and press into a 9-inch deep pie dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until set and golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Once cool, lay the banana slices in the bottom and up the sides of the pie crust.
- For the Banana Custard Filling: In a medium saucepan, add the cornstarch, sugar, egg yolks, milk and half and half. Whisk together and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Once it begins to boil, remove from heat, add butter, vanilla bean, and salt.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the banana and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Prepare a large bowl with ice and water. Strain the pastry cream through a fine sieve into a separate, large metal bowl. Place the pastry cream bowl over the ice bath, stirring constantly for 5 minutes to cool. Stir in banana puree and lemon juice and pour the cooled pastry cream into the baked pie crust. Cover with plastic wrap and press down gently so the plastic is touching the surface of the pastry cream. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To Assemble: In a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment add the heavy cream and confectioners' sugar and whisk until medium to stiff peaks form.
- Remove pie from refrigerator when ready to serve and top with the whipped cream, creating a pillowy texture on the top of the pie. Serve immediately.
- Tip: A great dessert to make the day before! Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
rate this recipe
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa
Turkey Chili Burger
Crispy Beet Sliders