A tasty treat to celebrate Fat Tuesday!
- step-by-step directions
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (plus 2 tablespoons, sifted)
- 2 eggs (separated)
- 1/2 cup water (room temperature)
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 1 lime (zested)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 ripe bananas (peeled, mashed)
- 1/3 cup dark rum
- vegetable or canola oil (for frying)
- confectioners' sugar (for dusting)
- Fill a Dutch oven with 1-inch of vegetable or canola oil and preheat oil to 360ºF. Line a plate with paper towels and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add sifted flour, egg yolks, sugar and water and whisk to combine. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, lime zest, melted butter, vanilla, mashed bananas, and rum and whisk until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, add egg whites and salt and beat on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg white mixture into the flour mixture to form a smooth paste, ensuring there are no lumps.
- Carefully drop a teaspoon of dough at a time into the preheated oil and fry until golden brown. Remove to the paper towel-lined plate to drain. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve hot!
- Tip: Make these beignets as small or as large as you like to fit your party needs!
rate this recipe
Grilling Three Ways
Classic, Dry, Extra Dry or Extra Extra Dry Martini
Cajun Scallops with Grits and Tomatoes
Giant Donut Cake
Corn Fritters with Spicy Honey
Cantaloupe Agua Fresca
Craig T. Nelson's Chicken Burritos
30 Layer Rainbow Crepe Cake
Pan-Roasted Ribeye with Radishes
Grilled Hot dog with Corn Relish and Pickled Red Onion
Summertime Ambrosia Salad