What could be better?!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (divided, plus extra for dusting)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening (melted)
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar (for dusting)
- Canola oil (for frying, plus extra for greasing)
Bourbon Dipping Sauce:
- 1 and 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons Bourbon
- For the Beignets: Grease a large bowl with oil, set aside. Line a large pan with paper towels and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add yeast, water and sugar. Hand whisk to combine and set aside to bloom, about 5-10 minutes.
- To the bloomed mixture, add evaporated milk, and egg, and whisk to combine. Add salt and 1 and 3/4 cups flour. Using a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, mix on level 3/10 until combined. Add shortening and remaining flour, and knead on level 3/10 until dough is smooth, about 4-5 minutes.
- Using a dough scraper, transfer dough into prepared bowl. Cover with plastic or towel and set aside until it doubles in size, about 2 hours.
- In a large Dutch oven or deep fryer, preheat 4-inches of oil to 370ºF.
- On a clean workspace dusted with flour, roll out dough to a 1/4-inch thickness, dusting with flour as needed. Cut the dough into 3-inch squares and carefully transfer into the oil. After dropping the squares in the oil, flip after 15 seconds and continue to flip every 15 seconds for the first minute or so. This will prevent a "hump" from forming. Fry until they are golden brown and cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer them to a paper towel, dust generously with confectioners' sugar and serve immediately with bourbon dipping sauce.
- For the Bourbon Dipping Sauce: In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the cream and sugar, whisk, and bring to a gentle boil. Cook until mixture reduces and thickens, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and sir in bourbon. Serve warm with beignets for dipping.
- Tip: Beignets are excellent when dunked in a cup of coffee, so be sure to brew a fresh batch when serving!
rate this recipe
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa
Turkey Chili Burger