Black and White Cookies
The delicious iconic New York cookie!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 and 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 large egg
- cooking spray
Vanilla and Chocolate Icing:
- 1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate (roughly chopped)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water
- For the Cookie Base: Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cake flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, vanilla extract and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the sugar and butter and beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. With the mixer on low, add the egg and beat until combined. With the stand mixer on low, in batches, add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture, and mix until just combined. Add the buttermilk mixture and mix until combined.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of cookie batter onto the prepared cookie sheet to form cookies, leaving about 2-inches in between, tap tray onto counter once, and transfer to the preheated oven. Bake until cookies are puffy and a pale golden color, about 15-17 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Remove from baking sheet and turn flat side up. Set aside until ready to ice.
- For the Vanilla and Chocolate Icing: Bring a small saucepan with 1-2 inches of water to a boil. Place a medium bowl over the saucepan to build a double boiler, and add the chocolate. Stir the chocolate continuously until melted, about 2 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and set aside briefly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the confectioners' sugar, corn syrup, vanilla extract, and water. Divide the icing in half, and warm one half of the icing in the microwave until it is the same temperature of the melted chocolate, about 20 seconds. Stir the melted chocolate into the warm icing.
- Using small offset spatula, and spread one half of each cookie with the vanilla icing. Scrape up any of the icing that has dripped down the edges to create a clean edge. Spread the remaining half of each cookie with chocolate icing and set the cookies aside to set completely and serve!
- Tip: Make the cookies bite size and wrap in cellophane bags for the perfect party favor!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa