Perfect on a hot summer's day!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 pound blackberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond liqueur
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 18 slices good quality sliced white bread (crusts removed)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh blackberries (halved if large, for garnish)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves (thinly sliced, for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small pot, combine the blackberries, lemon zest and juice, brown sugar, and almond liqueur and cook over medium-low heat just until berries soften and sugar has dissolved. Mash the blackberries to release their liquid. Set aside to cool.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Brush the inside of ramekins with butter and 1 tablespoon sugar, set aside.
- Cut 12 pieces of bread into (3 inch) rounds, giving you 12 rounds. Cut the remaining 6 pieces of bread into 12 (3 x 1 inch) rectangles. Brush the bread with butter, then line the bottom of each ramekin with a bread round. Repeat, lining the inner walls of the ramekin with bread rectangles (2 rectangles per ramekin), so that the entire ramekin is fully lined. Fill each ramekin with the blackberry compote and then top with the last piece of buttered round bread.
- Arrange ramekins on a baking sheet, and then bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- While the charlottes rest, in a large bowl, combine the heavy cream, remaining tablespoon sugar and vanilla, whip to a medium peak. Fold in the sour cream.
- Gently loosen the charlottes from the ramekins before turning out onto serving plates. Serve charlottes warm with a spoonful of whipped cream, fresh blackberries and mint.
- Tip: Use your other favorite berries or fruits instead of blackberries!
rate this recipe
Chaufa: Peruvian Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng)
Greek and Italian-Inspired Stuffed Peppers
Skillet-Roasted Lemon Chicken
Asian-Stuffed Mushrooms with Thai Peanut Butter Sauce
Jerk Chicken Skewers
Sparkling Watermelon Agua Fresco with Basil Simple Syrup
Strawberry Lemonade Cake
Strawberry, Vanilla, and Cookie Dough Milkshake
Amaretto and Chocolate Chip Milkshake
Pepper Steak with Broccoli Stem Salad