Braised Country Ribs
Love a rib!
- step-by-step directions
Braised Country Ribs
- 6 pounds country ribs (cut from the blade end of the loin)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks celery (coarsely chopped)
- 1 carrot (peeled, coarsely chopped)
- 1 large onion (peeled, coarsely chopped)
- 1 fresno chili (halved)
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 3 salt-packed anchovies (rinsed)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 head garlic (cloves peeled)
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 cups white wine
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup parsley (chopped, to garnish)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- The day before cooking, season the country ribs with salt and pepper and refrigerate.
- The next day, remove the ribs from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking and allow to come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half of the ribs and sear on all sides until browned, about 7-9 minutes Transfer the ribs to the plate and repeat with the remaining ribs.
- Pour off all but 2 to 3 tablespoons of fat from the pan. Add the celery, carrot, onion and chili to the pan along with a large pinch of salt, and cook over medium heat until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the thyme sprigs, anchovies, bay leaf, garlic and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add the stock, wine, apple cider and bring to a boil. Return the ribs to the pan, cover and braise in the oven for 1 hour.
- Lower the temperature to 225ºF and cook or 4 hours or until the meat is very tender. Remove the ribs to a large bowl and strain the liquid into the bowl. Discard the solids and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, skim the congealed fat off of the liquid and reheat the ribs in the liquid. Remove the ribs to a serving platter and cover to keep warm while you simmer the liquid to reduce it by half. Pour the sauce over the ribs and garnish with parsley.
- Tip: Remove any leftover rib meat from the bone and turn it into a sandwich for lunch the following day!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa