Brown Butter Shortbread Heart Cookies
So cute and tasty!
- step-by-step directions
Brown Butter Shortbread Cookies:
- 1 and 1/2 sticks butter (divided)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
Pink and Lavender Royal Icing:
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1/4 cup water (plus more if needed)
- pink food dye
- purple food dye
- edible gold dust
- For the Brown Butter Cookies: Line two sheet trays with parchment paper and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium saucepan, add 1/2 stick of butter and melt, swirling the pan until the butter browns, about 5-7 minutes. Pour into a glass bowl and transfer to the refrigerator until it solidifies, about 30 minutes.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the browned butter, remaining butter, and sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the vanilla extract, and salt and mix to combine. Add the flour, gradually, in 1/2 cup increments, and mix to combine.
- Remove dough to a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out as many cookies as possible.
- Arrange cookies in an even layer on the prepared sheet trays and transfer to the oven. Bake until the edges of the cookies are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes on the pan, then transfer to a baking rack to cool completely.
- For the Pink and Lavender Royal Icing: In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the sugar and meringue powder until combined. Add the water and beat at a medium speed until very glossy and stiff peaks form. If the icing fails to create the right consistency, add more sugar or water.
- Divide mixture in half and remove to two large bowl. In one of the bowls, add 1-2 drops of purple dye and stir until thoroughly combined to create a very light lavender color. In the second bowl, add 1-2 drops of pink dye and stir to combine creating a pale pink color.
- Remove the lavender and pale pink icing to piping bags. Ice half of the cookies with pink and half of the cookies with lavender by tracing an outline of each cooled heart cookie. Then fill in with a thin layer of the same icing. Allow icing to set completely, about 2-3 hours.
- Place desired stencil over the center of a pink iced cookie and pipe a thin layer of lavender icing over the stencil. Remove stencil and allow to set completely. Repeat the same process with the pink icing on to of the lavender cookie. Once cookies have set completely, brush a thin layer of edible gold dust on top of the cookies to give them a slight sheen.
- Wrap cookies in cellophane bags for the perfect wedding favor!
- Tip: Get creative! Dye the icing any color that will fit your party theme and stamp them with a custom phrase!
rate this recipe
Pan-Roasted Ribeye with Radishes
Grilled Hot dog with Corn Relish and Pickled Red Onion
Summertime Ambrosia Salad
Baked Brie Bread
Grilled Pork Medallions with Plum Sauce
Grilled Peach Frozen Yogurt Sundae
Pina Colada Pie
Cajun Salmon with Red Beans and Rice
Pork Medallions with Marsala Pan Sauce
Sheet Pan Greek Chicken Salad
Chocolate Pancake Roll