Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Onion Ring
Can't get much better than this!
- step-by-step directions
Buffalo Stuffed Onion Rings:
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 pound ground chicken (50/50, light and dark meat mixed)
- 1/3 cup Frank's hot sauce (plus extra for serving)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 small sweet onions (peeled and sliced into 1-inch rings)
- 1 4-6 ounce blue cheese wedge (diced into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 cup flour
- 4 large eggs (beaten)
- 4 1/2 cups day old potato buns, divided (about 8 buns)
- 1 cup homeade blue cheese dressing (for serving)
Blue cheese dressing:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 lemon (zested)
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- For the Buffalo Stuffed Onion Rings: In a large heavy bottomed pot heat vegetable oil to 350ºF.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- On a sheet tray, break apart buns into small equal size pieces. Spread evenly. Bake until lightly toasted and dried out. About 10 minutes.
- In a the bowl of a food processor, pulse toasted buns until they are coarse crumbs. Pour 3 1/2 cups in to a shallow bowl and season to taste with salt. Set the remaining 1 cup aside.
- Set up breading station with flour, beaten eggs, and breadcrumbs lined up in 3 seperate shallow bowls.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together chicken, hot sauce, mayonnaise, minced celery, cayenne, paprika and reserved 1 cup breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Separate onion rings using the rings that are about 2 inches. Lay rings on flat surface.
- Using a spoon, divide ground chicken mixture into center of onion rings. Place chicken mixture into middle of onion ring and press to spread to edges of onion.
- Place a cube of blue cheese ball into the center of chicken and press flat into mixture. Repeat until all onions are filled.
- Season outside of stuffed rings and dredge in flour, making sure to shake off excess flour and dip in to egg wash and then dredge in bread crumb mixture. Shake off excess breadcrumbs and dip again into egg and again into breadcrumb mixture. Repeat until all stuffed onions are fully coated.
- Working in small batches, fry stuffed rings in preheated oil for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through to 165ºF. Transfer to paper towel lined baking sheet until all rings have been fried and serve immediately.
- Serve with hot sauce and homemade blue cheese dressing.
- For Blue Cheese Dressing: In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream and lemon zest. Fold in the blue cheese crumbles. Season with salt and pepper.
- Tip: Make ahead, freeze and fry before your guests arrive for the perfect party appetizer!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa