Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
This semifreddo is freddo-delicious!
- step-by-step directions
For the Buttermilk Semifreddo:
- 10 large egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar (divided)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream (chilled)
- 5 tablespoons powdered buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (16oz) bag frozen sliced peaches (thawed)
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 orange zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup pecans (roughly chopped)
- To Serve:
- 1 package store bought shortbread cookies
- For the Buttermilk Semifreddo: Spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a metal or tempered glass bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, 3/4 cup of the sugar, vanilla bean paste and salt until pale. Place the bowl over a sauce pot with 1-inch of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Whisk the yolks until doubled in volume and an instant read thermometer reads 160ºF. Remove the bowl from the heat and place into an ice bath until mostly chilled, stirring occasionally.
- In another large bowl, whip the cream, remaining sugar and powdered buttermilk until the cream holds a stiff peak. Fold the cream and sour cream into the chilled yolk mixture, making sure not to over mix. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan, cover with plastic wrap and place into the freezer for at least 8 hours.
- For the Candied Peaches: In a large saute pan over medium high heat melt the butter. Add the peaches and saute until they beginning to soften and get color, about 10 minutes. Stir in the brown sugar, orange juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes until the peaches are tender and the sauce comes together. Remove from heat and set aside to come to room temperature.
- To Serve: Scoop the buttermilk semifreddo into bowls, top with the candied peaches and garnish with the shortbread cookie. Serve immediately.
- Tip: Swap out the peaches for the fresh fruit of your choice!
rate this recipe